Friday 18 February 2011

Hamlet. Macbeth. Othello. You can't kill what's already dead.

I don't know if this even counts, as as far as I'm aware it's an idea that never even made it to paper in even the most scribbled of note form, but it's sort of an addendum to this post about Doctor Stu. Basically, I had a great idea about three Shakespeare characters as some kind of set of aspects of the archetypal action hero. Also they were dead, or some of them were - I can't quite remember. And they might have been brought back into existence in order to write various wrongs they had committed (Macbeth was a definite on that one). And they were probably going to involve themselves in the affairs of other fictional characters, by killing things.

It was awesome.

By which I mean it was a really terrible idea, and it going nowhere was the best place for it to go. Let alone the fact that it was a rip-off of a gag in Last Action Hero, the whole Shakespeare thing is well overplayed in western culture; using Shakespeare in a silly/postmodern/arty way may still create a good piece of art, if done right, but it's never - ever - going to be a novel move anymore. Which is of course why I did it when I wrote Doctor Stu, or tried to write it. You know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment